Wednesday, April 11, 2007

April 11, 2007 Struggles and laughter

I have had an interesting week, to say the least. First, let me introduce you to my lovely Bunco nursing team who has reached out and helped me every step of the way. From top left, it's Barb J., Di T., Trixie, Jayne, Barb W., Colleen, (bottom row, left) Debi, Karen, me (in black), Dee-Dee, and Di C.

They are an illustrious bunch of women, and I thank them all for the wonderful gifts of emails, food, laughter, and time they have shared with me over the past couple of weeks. When this picture was taken in February, we had gathered together for a cancer exorcism. I can say with a measure of certainty that the tumors shrunk after this! The pomegranate martinis helped!

This group is just a part of my ever-widening circle of support from friends and family. Without you all, I can't imagine how depressed I'd be right now.

I often neglect to mention the male friends in my life that have offered me support. I am impressed by the knowledge they have about breast cancer, my diagnosis, my treatment, and what the emotional rollercoaster is like. It's because they've all experienced it with someone else in their families. Thanks for all the support and laughter, guys! Today I went to a baseball game with a couple of male friends from work. We laughed, booed, cheered, swapped stories, and had a blast. Just like regular people. It made me feel great to be alive.

I have decided that I need at least one belly laugh per day in order to beat this thing. I know it's a stretch goal, but it works. You should try it.

About my struggles, I wasn't as strong this week as I had hoped to be. I found out that my white blood counts were drastically low. My throat felt sore, I had a headache, and ached all over. I decided to take it easy and rest and recover. It was probably the smartest thing I could have done.

All I need now is fresh air and sunshine. Bring it on!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, not a bad gig being surrounded by beutiful women who love you. Is the club taking any new members?

Warrior Princess said...

Jim, I'm pretty sure we could use someone to do the heavy lifting. Ladies?

Unknown said...

Keep away from that SNL cafeteria soup - not good for the white cell count!