Sunday, April 1, 2007

April 2, 2007 Spring fever!


For the last couple of days I've felt really great. Last week I worked all week and felt like I was productive. Each day I felt better, but by the end of the day I was usually tired and ready for bed. I think my biggest complaint was plain old allergies! My sore throat is gone. My headaches are less frequent and less debilitating. My appetite is better. My mouth sores are better. My white blood cell counts were drastically low on Tuesday and the shot they gave me should be kicking in now. I felt great all weekend and tried to keep busy, walk the dog, and generally be productive. Just in time for my next chemo on Tuesday April 3!

I have pretty much stopped drinking (my liver is working overtime anyway) and limited coffee, and I've tried to drink a lot of water. That seems to help. I'm so thirsty all the time. I'm supposed to be drinking quarts and quarts of water a day. Catherine, please have a mojito for me. You'll be doing me a favor! and for those of you who prefer pomegranate martinis, do your part!

I know my hair is going to fall out by Tuesday, and I'm sort of ready, but every night I have nightmares about it falling out at inopportune times. Like in the middle of church or something. I'm planning on shaving it all off just like Britney (you go, sister!) When I'm bald, I am going to go for the biker chick look with a do-rag and get a couple of fake tattoos. Leather vest? You bet. Then again, the pirate look is in. Argggggghhh.

I couldn't have made it this far without my hilarious friends. They've helped me by sending funny emails, driving Rachel everywhere, meeting me for appointments, bringing me food, sending weird things in the mail, or calling me throughout the week. It's incredible! I have talked to a lot of women who have survived breast cancer or who are going through chemo now. All those conversations have been so informative and uplifting. I figure, I can do this! Still, sometimes I get terrified thinking about the upcoming surgery. I know, I'm a wimp. A chicken. A pansy. So . . . .today I planted pansies so I could stop being one. Yay!

My biggest help has been my mom, Pat. If you have a chance to thank her for all she's doing, please do. She's a breast cancer survivor, too! I'm so lucky to have her close by.

I've included a picture of me in a hat sent to me by my friend, Jim, whose wrestling name is "Buck Naked". Yes, Jim, I'm wearing the hat and not much else! He writes: "If you are feeling at all self conscious, and you need to get up and go in a hurry and you don't want to draw attention to yourself, this little hat might just do the trick to help you blend into the crowd." He is such a thoughtful guy. What do you think, people? Can I get away with it?

Thanks Jim! And thanks to everyone who has made an extra effort to help me these past few weeks. Tougher times await, I know. But so far, things are going just the way I'd hoped.

Up next: head shaving party! (I might consider having a mojito)

4 comments:

Cosmogrl said...

Love the hat!
Don't worry I will gladly sacrifice my liver for you! It is just about mojito season... looking forward to it.

Hang in there tomorrow. You'll be in my thoughts... hope they don't keep you waiting so long this time.

Unknown said...

You know instead of having a head shaving party .... you could just wait until Tuesday, walk up to someone or some business you have had frustration with in the past and Scream "You Make me want to pull my hair out" ... grab two handfulls of your hair and throw it at them. It would be a great prank, and might get a a discount or two for some free stuff.

Unknown said...

I'm going to donate a few liver cells myself. I toast you with a girlfriend glass full of Oregon pinot.

Warrior Princess said...

Well, tonight was the big night! Sinead & Britney, I hope I can do you justice! Thanks to Amanda for doing a great job. No tears! Just joy and relief!