Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 23, 2008: The bright side of life



Finally, 2008 is here. And not a moment too soon. I had my final surgery this week. Dr. Tsao Wu took another "scraping" of pectoralis muscle to remove any cancer cells that would have remained in the deep margin after my mastectomy in July. Then she changed out my horrible, hard, huge, expander implants for some softer, nicer ones.

I just read an article about increased rates of infection with implants versus using your own tissues in reconstruction (TRAM flap). Still, I am happy with my choice. My doc has me on Keflex to reduce the likelihood of infection, and of course Percocet. I think I'll be OK. Someone named Winston was in the operating room with me. I think he was a vendor representative. When asked if that would be OK, I said, "As long as he doesn't have a cold and follows sterile procedures." Well, I had to say something!

Everything went well, I suppose, but I'll talk to Dr. Tsao Wu next Monday and I'll get the path report in about 2 weeks. They don't expect to see anything because that side was irradiated, but still, I want to know. I don't want to go through this again!

I think I'll be back at work next week (ugh) and have already spent a couple of hours on conference calls this week. It's a busy time at work and I sure like telecommuting! but now it's time for a nap . . . .

I'll write more later.

Hugs and kisses,

Grace





No comments: