Wednesday, March 21, 2007

March 20, 2007


Day 1 of 265: Get me through 2007!

Today (March 20) I had my first chemo treatment. The place was in an uproar because all the docs were late coming back from some big meeting. So I arrived at 9:15 and didn't get started on chemo until 1:00. The waiting room was full, and all the chemo chairs were busy. My mom waited with me that entire time! We did see the oncologist at about 11:00 but then had to wait some more while Dr. Marshall wrote up my chemo orders. After this first time, it should go more smoothly. Tomorrow I go in for a Neulasta shot, then in a week I get more blood drawn to test my blood cell counts, and then in two weeks I'll have my second chemo.

Barb Jordan, the expert text messager, contacted me several times and then waltzed into the chemo room about forty-five minutes before I was all done. We had a chance to talk while we waited for the nurses to complete my drip and then do all the paperwork. It worked out well to have her there near the end. I had plenty of time to talk to the nurses and the dietician after my mom left and before Barb showed up. All the text messages were great, too! I will have to work on my texting speed. I am a Slowski.

For those of you with morbid curiousity, I have a port-a-cath installed in my chest and it makes the IV so much easier. I didn't feel anything. I have adriamycin and cytoxin for four treatments, then four treatments of Taxol. My hair WILL fall out. I will feel nauseated and fatigued. I won't sleep much at night, but I will be dragging during the day. I will feel achy. My immunity will be suppressed, so I can't be around crowds or sick people. There may be other symptoms, but those are the typical ones.

Today at 5 pm I feel great! But I'll update you all later. Thanks to everyone who called, wrote, sent or brought unusually large packages and small tokens, said prayers, and did the girlfriend thing to the extreme. I really appreciate it.

WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE: I never knew how many friends I had. Life is good.

Livin' with attitude!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there W.P. you are beyond being just ordinary and always were, but now you are an ordinary heroine. I'm here with you thanks for posting.

Chaleopard said...

YOU ROCK WARRIOR PRINCESS!!!!

Warrior Princess said...

I have discovered something new. Men's cologne makes me barf.

Warrior Princess said...

FYI, the flowers in the photo came from my colleague Jim who lives in Richland, WA. Aren't they gorgeous?

Cosmogrl said...

WP stay away from men's cologne!
How is the red devil treating you?
What is the hair situation?

Warrior Princess said...

Feeling much better today (Friday). Hair still intact. Red Devil sucks.

Cosmogrl said...

Thanks for the latest update - I've been checking hourly for your status.... very interesting discussion with the 2nd opinion. I'm glad you went to her. What happened witht he ultrasound? Are you going back to work?

Warrior Princess said...

The ultrasound seemed normal, according to the technician. She said it looked like a normal ovary for someone who is still ovulating. I haven't heard back from the radiologist (M.D.) yet.